05 August 2013

Good News, Bad News

I've been meaning to update for a while, but life has been so busy lately (isn't that always the case?  I need a vacation).  I figured the best way to do this update was a Good News/Bad News list, because that's how things have been going lately.

Good News - it appears as though insurance has covered more of my HSG than we had originally expected.  After what felt like a million phone calls (and several customer service representatives), I was told by a financial coordinator through the clinic and an insurance representative that the procedure itself would cost $1,501 and we would be responsible to cover the rest of my deductible and then 20% of the remaining cost, for a grand total of $700+.  Ouch.  But on July 24th, I got an excited text and email from B with our insurance explanation of benefits attached - it appears as though we are only going to be charged the $20 copay that accompanies office visits at our clinic.  That's a major savings, which our bank account greatly appreciates.  It's not going to last long of course, but we'll take what we can get!

Bad News - AF arrived early at 5dpo, almost 2 weeks ago.  Yeah ... that sucked.  I noticed some spotting and just knew.  Wednesday morning (July 24) - the day I was supposed to get my progesterone level tested - AF was here in full force.  My progesterone results came back really low, indicating I didn't ovulate (which I totally don't understand - I had a 19mm follicle and I gave myself a trigger shot ... how did I not ovulate?), and general suck ensued (500 points if you just did the How I Met Your Mother salute to General Suck).  I had to have my CD3 ultrasound with a different doctor, and it was soooo awkward.  First of all, it was a dude, which is not my favorite.  Second, I felt like he wasn't really listening to me (we actually had a debate about what cycle day I was on, as if I didn't know how many days I had been bleeding!).  And he raised the exam table way into the air rather than sitting down at a lower level for the exam, so when he was done, I couldn't sit up and regain a teensy bit of modesty until he lowered the stupid table down.  Nothing like waiting for the table to slowly lower back to the ground with my legs spread and my hooha hanging out.  Not my favorite experience.  I really hope that I never have to see him again.

Good News - I have an appointment with the head RE at my clinic tomorrow, which will hopefully get us more answers.  The physician I usually see suggested I make an appointment with this RE, although I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of the appointment is, to be honest.  All I know is that the consult is supposed to be about an hour long, and I'll probably bring B back with me.  I want to have a second set of ears so that we can be sure to take in all the information we can get.  I'm guessing we'll discuss the last year's worth of treatments and maybe talk about a plan moving forward, but I don't really know.  I guess I'll find out tomorrow :).

Mixed Message News - When we realized that last cycle didn't work out, I was told that we had 2 options - go ahead with an increased dose of injections and try again, or take a break for a cycle, chat with the head RE, and then decide where to go from there.  After we talked about it and mapped out important dates, we figured the timing probably wouldn't work out.  Even though I hate the idea of losing another month, I know it was our best choice, and it hasn't been too bad - it's nice to have a break from giving injections, taking pills, visiting my pal the vag cam, and peeing on sticks.

Good News - MTV did something pretty awesome - huge shock right?  Their program True Life finally focused on something important with the episode "True Life:  I'm Desperate to Have a Baby."  (Yes, I know they've covered topics like addiction, which is also important, but one of their newest episodes is called "True Life:  I'm Too Beautiful."  Give me a break.)  It followed 2 couples who were struggling with infertility and documented their efforts to get pregnant via IVF.  It is definitely worth a watch.

So that's the most recent update.  I'm hoping to be back tomorrow with all of the details from our meeting with the RE, and I have a couple of drafts that are burning a hole in my brain that will hopefully be published soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment