22 January 2012

National Ditch Your Resolutions Day

According to the radio station that plays during nap time at work (which is obviously a very reliable source … ha), January 17th was National Ditch Your New Year’s Resolutions Day.  I figured it was the perfect time to take a look at my resolutions and see how successful I’ve been.  (Here’s a hint - I put off writing this post for almost a week … how’s that for following through?)  I will be completely honest - I am struggling.  Not with everything, which I think is promising - but I definitely need to re-focus and continue working on things.

I’m coming out about even on the being a better wife front.  I’ve been doing an amazing job (for me) of keeping up with most of the household chores, but I haven’t been as affectionate as I’d like to be.  I need to be much more mindful of the way I speak to my husband and the attitude I have toward life.

I have definitely been struggling a lot with following through, but obviously this is a more long term goal.  I feel like I have made some progress, although sometimes it feels like a one step forward, two steps back kind of situation.  The main things I’m trying to focus my follow through energies on lately are blogging more (which is easier said than done, for sure) and finishing my homemade Valentine’s.  I almost gave up on the Valentine’s cards last week when I came across some really cute partially DIY ones at Target, but I didn’t want the work I’d already done to go to waste, so I’m sticking with my original plan.  For now.  I’m hoping to get motivated again on my day off and maybe I’ll finish them (or at least get them closer to being finished).

My keeping in touch with friends and family resolution is very closely related to following through for me.  This is another one of my more long term goals, so it seems to soon to tell if I’ve made any improvements yet.  I did manage to remember to text my mom on my parent’s anniversary and we proceeded to text and chat throughout the day, so that can go in the success column.  I have also called and texted my sisters pretty frequently, but it probably isn’t any more than I usually do.  I need to work on calling my grandmas more (well, calling one and emailing the other - yes, my grandma uses the internet.  And she and grandpa have a hard time hearing on the phone, so e-mail is a better form of communication for us).  I also have been awful about keeping in touch with my friends, aside from a few Facebook messages here and there.  It’s a work in progress.

I have barely started working on saving up more money, mostly because at this point we haven’t gotten any extra money to put away yet.  Hubs just got his promotion, and his first paycheck as a salaried employee was about $100 less than normal, like we expected.  We haven’t seen his first profit sharing bonus yet (which is where the loss in pay is going to be made up), but we’re hopeful for decent returns.  My raise (fingers crossed) should be reflected in one of the first paychecks I receive in February, so I’m hoping that will make up for some of our loss in B’s income.  I’m still pretty skeptical about this raise - I’ll believe it when I see it - but any extra money would definitely be an improvement, and if it is as significant as my work friends are telling me it will be, it won’t be too difficult to put a little extra money into savings.  As far as spending goes, I’ve been convincing myself to not buy things when we’ve gone shopping (I’m pretty proud of myself), and the few things that I have bought recently have been bargain bin finds.  I probably could have gone without buying them at all, but I can’t cut myself off cold turkey.

I’ve read one book in 2012 so far.  I actually read the whole things in one day.  That’s really not anything surprising from me though.  I need to download some more (free) books to read (and then manage to find time to read them).  This goal can sit on the back burner for a while.  I’ll get around to it eventually.

My final resolution about making a decision about Grad school is going to take a lot of time and serious consideration.  As much as I would love to learn more about a subject I’m passionate about, I don’t see myself making a move into a Counseling career.  I guess I’m kind of stuck in the mindset that I want to be a stay at home mom.  The more I think about how expensive graduate school is, and how much of my time it will take up, as well as all of the effort it will take to even apply … I just don’t know if it’s going to happen or not.  I’m definitely going to have to do more than 3 weeks worth of soul-searching to figure out what my plan is for my educational future.

So, there it is, the current status of my New Year’s Resolutions.  The good news is that even though I’ve been struggling, it’s not even February yet.  I have 11 months to work on these things, I just need to take it one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment