18 June 2013

Another One Bites the Dust

Today is CD24, and we're looking at yet another canceled cycle.  This is really getting old  (actually, this is kind of old news, the cycle was officially canceled last Thursday, I just haven't had time or motivation to update here).

I went to a closer satellite branch of my clinic for another estradiol test last Thursday morning (my third in a week), and it was not good.  Just my luck.  Later that afternoon, I got the call saying the usual "your estradiol was just really low, and it doesn't make any sense.  We'll have to go ahead and cancel this cycle."  Such a disappointment, especially considering how excited we were to see triple layer lining just a few days before.  But wait, there's more ...

Because of my lack of success on this Letrozole cycle, my RE feels like it's time to be more aggressive.  Rather than attempting a higher dose of Letrozole in combination with the Metformin I recently started (and what a fun experience that has been ... yipes!  My poor tummy ...), it's time to move on to a Clomid + Follistim cycle.  I guess I should be excited about that - we're getting more aggressive, and maybe that's what it will take to finally get knocked up.  Maybe.

I'm supposed to call when AF shows (or in 3 weeks to get some Provera if that doesn't happen naturally), and then after my baseline ultrasound, we'll discuss setting up an HSG.  Cue the sad trombone.  I can feel the money flying out of our bank account, not to mention another month of trying getting flushed down the drain because we're waiting for things to happen.  Wasting time and money are two things that I really hate doing - I am not a happy camper.

I immediately started doing a little preliminary research into our out of pocket cost for the HSG, but didn't get very far.  My mistake was starting with the insurance company - I should have known that I wouldn't get much information there, especially considering they have no idea how the procedure would be coded for billing.  I did, however, manage to get some useful information from the insurance company regarding my deductible and such, so the call wasn't a complete waste of time.  I had been planning on calling at some point to find out how much of our infertility plan we had left (that's not even the right way to describe it - we have a lifetime limit of money to put toward infertility treatments, although it only covers a portion of the cost ... it's hard to describe), and I actually got some good news!  We still have a majority of the money left (we've used less than $1,000), so that can help cover part of the cost of the HSG (probably).  I emailed the doctor's office today requesting more information about the cost of the HSG and the location at which it would be done, so I should hopefully have more information soon.

So that pretty much updates the story so far - a somewhat promising start, followed by a major disappointment and more money disappearing out of our bank account - aka the story of my life.  I think it's about time that my story is re-written ...

No comments:

Post a Comment