14 November 2011

Guest Room Facelift

This weekend was pretty monumental for our household.  Let me set the scene:

Hubs and I are in one of the spare bedrooms (Hubs is changing his clothes, I’m bothering him, as per usual)


Me:  Hey B, why don’t you try pulling on that Packer border to see how easily it comes down?

Hubs:  Okay.

Me: NO NO NO I was just kidding.  If you pulled it we’d have to do the whole room.

Hubs:  Okay (yank)


And so our next project began.  We removed the ugly and falling down Packer border and the equally ugly white with green stripes wallpaper.  By we removed, I mean we both started it, then we went to Menards to get supplies (after making a detour and getting dinner and picking up B’s dad), and then I rocked out to some jams and finished removing the rest of the wallpaper while Hubs watched “Breaking Bad” and hockey.  On Sunday, B’s dad came over and fixed up some of the cracks in the plaster with some mud, and that ended day 2.  He also loaned me his sanding attachment for the shop vac so I can sand the mudded areas and not have to deal with all of the dust.  I wanted to work on it today but I couldn’t figure out how to attach the sander to the vac - turns out you have to put another attachment on first.  Duh.  So now the plan is to sand everything tomorrow so that we’ll know if there are any areas that need more mud, and hopefully we’ll I’ll be priming and painting by this weekend.

At this point, you may be wondering - what color did we choose for this room?  I’m going with a light-medium gray.  I think it will look really clean and modern, and will be a great backdrop for some awesome punches of color.  Specifically, buttery yellow and aqua.  Oh, and this room?  It’s the future nursery.  I’m pretty excited to have this started.  We’re still working on the baby-making, but the room is going to be an awesome guest bedroom until the time comes.

For comparison’s sake, here’s a couple of before pictures.  Enjoy!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The ugly wallpaper and border

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

A [blurry] picture of another corner (you can see the plain white wall behind the dresser) - and a sneak peek at the beautiful rocking chair and the dresser that will be returning to the room in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment