21 November 2011

Update on Guest Room

So I’ve been working on this guest bedroom pretty regularly for the past week, and I haven’t made all that much progress.  After sanding some areas, we found more spots that needed to be mended with mud.  I actually did the mudding myself - I’m pretty proud.  While that was drying, I ended up priming 3 of the 4 walls (the fourth had wet mud on it), and on Sunday B’s dad came over again and did some sanding and found MORE PLACES THAT NEEDED MUD!! Ugh.  Of course.

Before my 2 hour shift at work this afternoon, I managed to get one area of the angled ceiling painted.  And then … I found another spot that needed to be mended with mud.  So frustrating.  B’s dad thinks that we should paint the ceiling before we paint the walls - I don’t want to wait!  I want to get my lovely Coventry Gray paint on the walls!  (Coventry Gray is a Benjamin Moore color, but we had it color matched to the in house brand at Ace to save money) My goal for the rest of the day is to get the final wall primed, and maybe I’ll do some more work on the ceiling … I really really really want to get paint on the walls by Thursday (or Wednesday night), but I don’t think it’s going to work out.

This weekend, we (who am I kidding, this is all me) decided to put white molding around by the ceiling like B’s dad put in the bathroom.  So that’s another thing to add some time and money onto this project.  Oh, and under the carpet we have some nice hardwood floors, so the carpet will come out, the floor will be refinished, and molding will go around the bottom of the wall.  I’m hoping to keep our budget limited to $200.  We’re doing pretty well so far - the primer and ceiling paint were leftovers from previous projects (aka free), the paint and one roll of painters tape cost us $29, the small container of mud was $8, and the sand texture to be added to the paint was about $8, putting the grand total so far at about $45 (I rounded totals up).  All of our materials have been bought from Ace Hardware.  It is possible that we will need to buy another can of ceiling paint (we’ve been using Glidden’s color changing ceiling paint - it’s pretty nice.  It starts out light pink when you first roll it on, and it changes to white as it dries) but I’m realllllllllllllly hoping we won’t have to shell out the cash for that …

I hope this project is over soon.

For funsies, here’s an in-progress picture!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment