09 February 2012

Guilty Pleasures

Everyone has them.  To be honest, I think mine are pretty common, but I’m going to share them anyway :).

I really enjoy bad TV.  Hubs does too … to a point.  We watch some crappy TV together - Jersey Shore, anyone?  Ugh, it’s so bad, but it’s soooooooooo good.  And WipeOut.  We just can’t resist it.  There’s nothing funnier than watching other people fall or get hit by random doors on obstacles.  Seriously, we both have been to the point of crying from laughing while watching WipeOut.  It’s just great.  But B can’t stand to watch most of my shows.  Like, I’m obsessed with several of the really crappy and ridiculous ABC Family shows.  Pretty Little Liars?  Jane by Design?  Switched at Birth?  Yes, please.  These shows are all ridiculous, but I am addicted.  They sucked me in, and even though I try to resist them, they’re usually the first DVR’d shows I watch when given the opportunity.  When they go on hiatus in the middle of the season or at the end of the season, I get really sad.  I may have even dreamed a PLL story line once.  Pathetic.

My taste in music is about as bad as my taste in television shows.  Most of the time, I listen to the regular Top 40 songs - you know, the ones the radio stations play on a steady rotation of the same 15 songs over and over for all of eternity.  I actually really love folksy singer/song-writer type music too, but I can’t stay away from pop music.  There’s nothing like awful boy bands or cheesy songs from the 80’s and 90’s to break me out of a really awful mood.  Listening to *NSYNC, Vanilla Ice, and Wilson Phillips immediately turn my day around; I would have been supremely disappointed if they didn’t play Sir Mix A Lot and the Macarena at our wedding.  I just love the cheesy pop music.  I think I love awful music because those songs remind me of a simpler time - being in my teens.  They make it feel like summer break, hanging out with friends, and being carefree - all things that I would like more of in my adult life.

Who can resist celebrity gossip blogs?  Not this gal.  I have actually cut back on visiting these sites in the past year or two (I no longer have them in my Google Reader), but I still check in occasionally - mostly to see what celebs are pregnant or recently had babies - I’m fascinated by the names they choose for their children.  And of course I have to check in occasionally to make sure that Britney is still out of rehab and to verify that different celebs have passed on.  I didn’t believe MJ died until I saw it on a famous gossip website.  It’s like watching the news, except not really all that reliable. 

To round it out, there is one video game that I am kind of ashamed to say I own … for the Nintendo DS and the 3DS.  I am a grown woman.  I have had several pets in my life.  There is no reason why I should love Ninendogs (and Nintendogs + Cats) as much as I do.  I’ll be honest, I don’t keep up with it as much as I should, but I just love those digital furry faces.  I’m really quite picky about which breeds I adopt, and the colors and markings have to be just so for me to find a breed cute.  It’s ridiculous - they’re not flesh and blood real animals, but that doesn’t stop me from loving them.

I may need an intervention.

Even though I have a lot of guilty pleasures, there is one that never snagged me:  Twilight.  No. Thank. You.  Harry Potter all the way.  Expelliarmus!

No comments:

Post a Comment