03 January 2013

Kicking off the New Year

So far, 2013 has not been too great.

On New Year’s Eve, I went for my 3rd estradiol draw in a span of 5 days, and my NP called with my results a few hours later - it was even lower than my first draw - the follicle that we thought would lead to ovulation was no good.  Another disappointment.  Next cycle will be the same routine of ultrasounds and blood draws. My Clomid dosage is being increased to 100mg this time around.  We’ll see if that’s what I need.

On New Year’s Day, B woke up and noticed our house was extra cold - the furnace broke.  We thought it was just the ignitor - we have to replace it every couple of years - but we were wrong.  After calling a company that had emergency service, we found out that the problem was actually with the heat exchange, aka much more difficult and expensive to fix than an ignitor.  Of course.  So we were without real heat all day on New Year’s Day, with only 2 small personal heaters and one larger personal heater (and plenty of layers and blankets) to keep us warm.  Luckily, the repairmen were able to get the part that we needed fairly quickly, so our furnace was fixed yesterday morning (thank goodness).  The estimate for the bill was $200-500 (we weren’t billed right away because the part that was replaced should be partially covered under a limited warrantee or something like that) - I’m not looking forward to getting that bill in the mail.

To top it all off, I had to go back to work yesterday after 13 glorious days off, and I walked into the same drama and bad attitudes that I left 2 weeks ago.  I was hoping to have a fresh start with the new year - that was wishful thinking.  I’m going to try and stress less about the things that are beyond my control (like the behavior of my co-workers, boss, and students) … maybe I can bring about the change that I desperately need in my work situation.  At the very least, I can look forward to a vacation day in a few weeks.

This year is not starting out the way I hoped it would - that just means it can only get better from here … right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment