04 December 2011

Light at the End of the Tunnel

I can finally see it. Last Sunday, I spent a good portion of the day working on the bedroom project.  My father-in-law sanded because I’m useless at it, then we (even B!) touched up the primer, re-painted the ceiling, and got the first coat of paint on the walls.  So exciting! The second coat of paint went up Monday morning (all by myself), and then I worked on moving the books that were stashed on the bed into the scrap room, where the bookshelf was hidden away.   This Sunday, we will be removing the ugly orange-rust carpet.  I’m not sure how soon we will start refinishing the floor, but I’m hoping right away so that we can get this room moved to the finished column of my home improvements list. To be honest, I’m a little nervous about the floor underneath the ugly carpet. B’s dad has told me about a dozen times that when he owned this house, they were putting in new carpet, saw the hardwood underneath, and were going to refinish the floors in the master bedroom but couldn’t because the carpet was glued to the floor. During this project, I’ve been seeing some carpet fibers stuck to floor. I just hope that the wood is in good enough condition that refinishing will be an easy-ish process. My fingers are crossed. Now that the room is painted (and mostly complete), I have to say that I love the way the room is turning out. It would be nice if the room had better lighting (the only source of artificial light in the room comes from a ceiling fan that is not centered in the room), but I think I can live with what we have. Besides the floor, there are a few other finishing touches that are left to complete, but we’ll get to those later. The updated expenditure on this room is about $67 currently. I ended up having B buy more primer for about $15 (the stain in the ceiling leached through the color changing paint, so we painted the ceiling again with stain blocking primer), and we paid $7 for rollers because I was tired of washing the ones we had. They were old and nasty. The edges near the ceiling turned out looking pretty nice and finished so we will not be putting molding around the top of the walls, so we will be saving a bit of money and labor there (yay!). Hopefully this is a good omen.

No comments:

Post a Comment