28 September 2014

Blog Challenge Day 28: Advocacy in Daily Life

I think it's pretty important to use all of the knowledge I've gained from our experiences to help educate people about infertility etiquette and ART processes.  Whenever the topic comes up, I do my best to share any information that may be helpful and try to correct any misinformation.  I'm not always effective when I share information, and I know it is 100% because of my approach.  While I want people to have correct information, I don't want to come across as snobbish about things, so I'm usually pretty casual in my approach.  When asked about when embryos will be implanted, I usually respond with "the embryos will be transferred on x date."  By being gentle and subtle with my corrections, I feel like it's less condescending while still providing the correct term.  I'm sure there are better ways to approach grass-roots, low level advocacy, but so far, I'm pretty satisfied with my current amount of involvement.  In the future, I'd like to become more involved in different events.

No comments:

Post a Comment